Chicken salad is that one dish that most restaurants will have on the menu since there are so many ways that you can make it. I was experimenting and happened to have clementines in my fruit bowl and thought that it would be a great addition to my chicken salad. As the seasonal fruits and vegetables change, it’s fun to incorporate the different flavors into dishes that you usually make to give it new flavor profiles. I am sure that I will be making several different flavored chicken salads on my blog in the very near future.
Also with chicken salad, you can serve it as a salad and place it on top of some mixed greens with typical salad toppings (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc) and a light lemon vinaigrette; or you can serve it on some whole wheat Texas style toast with some home made potato chips (I will make these and blog the recipe at a different time) or you can serve with some tomato slices or a separate side salad. You can even serve it as an appetizer with some crackers and veggies. No matter how you serve it, it is delicious and quite healthy for you.
INGREDIENTS – Serves 4-6
Per Serving (1 cup) Calories 316 Fat 10g Carbs 13g Protein 34g
- 3 cups cooked chicken (white and dark meat)
- 1 cup celery (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup scallions (chopped)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 clementine (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (about 1/2 a juicy lemon)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey (I like orange blossom)
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
HOW TO MAKE IT…
- Chop chicken into bite size pieces and throw into a large bowl
- Add to the bowl celery, scallions, raisins, pecans and clementine and mix all together
- Add lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey, Greek yogurt, salt and pepper and mix very well so that the entire salad is covered
- Add the flat leaf parsley at the end and toss all together
Ideas: You can replace the clementines with apples or you can add cranberries instead of raisins or walnuts instead of pecans. You can also remove the dark meat and only make it with white meat if you prefer.