I have never really made anything with fennel but I was reading through a few recipes and the flavor profile and it sounded very interesting. I am a fan of making all sorts of sides and feel that a salad is usually a very welcoming side for many dishes. Cole slaw is a very refreshing salad and usually has some sort of sweetness in the recipe. That is where the apple comes into this recipe.
This recipe is quite tasty and I am looking forward to experimenting with it and possibly adding a few additional ingredients to play around with the flavor. This recipe was the first run and it was very good, but I want to make it a little tastier.
If any of you do make the recipe, please give me some feedback and also some ideas on possible additions or changes to the recipe would be very appreciated.
INGREDIENTS – Serves 8-10 (as a side dish)
Per serving (1 cup) – Calories 80 Fat 5.25g Carbs 6.25g
- 2 Fennels (halved, cored and thinly sliced)
- 2 Gala apples (core and thinly slice)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of celery leaves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
HOW TO MAKE IT…
- In a large bowl, add the apple and the fennel and Greek yogurt and toss so they are mixed together
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk the olive oil, Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar until they are emulsified like a vinaigrette
- pour the vinaigrette over the apples and fennel and mix well
- Add the salt, pepper, tarragon and celery seeds over the salad and toss until everything is mixed together
- Top with the celery leaves and toss one last time
Ideas: I would like to add some actual celery to slaw as well as I enjoy that flavor. Cucumbers are also delicious and may be a great addition to the salad as they are light in flavor but would blend well. Thinly sliced radishes would add a nice tang.