I am not the biggest fan of eggs and it is definitely an ingredient that I have to be in the mood for. I know that you would never think that with the number of egg recipes that I make and post, but it’s true. This is why it is so important to season the eggs as much as possible so that they take on the flavor that I am inspired to create. Since eggs are almost a blank canvas when it comes to flavor. it makes it a little easier to season them up the way that I want.
In this dish, I actually do not scramble the egg first, but I do scramble it somewhat in the pan as they cook. This actually gives the egg a different consistency that I happen to like a lot better than pre-scrambling the egg first. Either way, the flavors are great and I am sure you will like it no matter what!
This dish is also fantastic alone or with a side of potatoes or tomato slices, however, I actually served it on a low carb whole wheat wrap and it was delicious and quick.
INGREDIENT – SERVES ONE PERSON
*Eggs – 2 large eggs
*Spinach – 1/2 cup julienned spinach (I like to remove the stems and slice as you would basil)
*Mushrooms – 1/4 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms (you can use any you like)
*Fetta cheese – 2 tablespoons crumbled
*Kosher salt – 1/2 teaspoon
*Pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
*Oregano (dry) – 1/4 teaspoon
*Onion powder – 1/4 teaspoon
*Butter spray – enough to cover the bottom of the pan (you can use butter or oil if you like – about 1 tablespoon should be more than enough)
HOW TO MAKE IT…
- In a small non-stick saute pan on medium high heat add the spray and the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes so the mushrooms start browning
- Add the spinach and lower the heat to medium and cook until the spinach is wilted
- Add the spices, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano and mix well
- Add the eggs and then mix the yolk and the white together until they are blended to your liking
- Add the feta and cook until desired consistency (3-4 minutes)
Tips: Add the egg mix to some toasted bread with and spread some hummus. You can also add some Kalamata olives and take the flavor profile up a notch