Today was my husbands birthday and I originally wanted to take him and the family out to eat, but he insisted that all he wanted was for me to cook his favorite meal. The funny thing is that this meal was my sons favorite also until he became a vegetarian. Sooooo I said of course I will make you dinner. I made him Garlic rice with “Ali’s” Black Beans (I’m Ali), tostones and vaca frita. I even made mushroom crostini for appetizer. All of the dishes in the meal will be available in my cook book. Today’s recipe is another dessert (LOL).
What’s a birthday without a cake? When I asked him what he wanted, he said brownie and ice cream. Normally I would buy a box mix but I decided to make it my self. You will be surprised how easy it is. It is by no means low-fat. However, like everything, a little goes a long way. I did buy the ice cream but it was a natural vanilla ice cream and oh so good with the brownie. On the bottom photos you have the uncooked version and then the fully cooked version. Above, is the served version. This is definitely a recipe that you should try with the kids or as a gift to others, they will thank you. Make sure to take a look at my tips for some ideas on how to change it a little.
Ingredients – Serves 6-8 small pieces
*Butter – 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons), melted but cool
*Vegetable oil – 1 1/2 tablespoon
*White sugar – 3/4 cup
*Brown sugar – 3/4 cup
*Eggs – 3 large
*Vanilla extract – 3 tablespoons
*Flour – all purpose, 3/4 cup
*Cocoa powder – 3/4 cup
*Salt – 3/4 teaspoon
*Tri-colored chocolate chips – 1 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare with a parchment paper an 8×8 pan or a 9×9 pan if you want it a little thinner
- In a large bowl pour the melted butter and the brown and white sugar and mix well
- Add the eggs, vanilla and the salt and continue to mix
- In a seperate bowl add the flour and the cocoa powder; over the bowl with the egg mixture sift the flour and the cocoa into the egg mixture
- Mix everything well and until all incorporated and smooth then add the chocolate chip and foold them in
- Pour the brownie mix into the prepared pan and place in the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, just a little; remove from the pan with the parchment paper and place on a large plate
- Cut the brownie into squares (whatever size you want) and serve warm with ice cream
Tip: Try to add chocolate chunks and raisins to replace the chips. You can try to add nuts or you can drizzle caramel on the top of the brownie when you serve it. If you add some pieces with milk to a blender you can make a shake. The ideas are endless!