So I love spinach and I love to make spinach in so many different ways and since the flavor is subtle, you can add many different ingredients and spinach can adapt. I finally got my daughter to eat spinach by lightly baking spinach leaves into chips and then adding a little salt. I also try to always add spinach leaves to the shakes I drink for the added vitamins and nutrients. If you add a small amount (about 10 leaves) the color will not change much and you will never taste it.
I also love most if not all mediterranean food. I think one of the things I miss the most about being a pescatarian is lamb (lol) but I supplement with many other great dishes, like this one. So spanakopita is usually made in Phylo dough, but I decided to make it in an empanada. This is a good way to make individual servings that I can freeze and then make later. They are great for snacks or lunch and you can even make small ones as appetizers. They are delicious!
Ingredients: makes 20 empanadas
* Spinach – 3-4 12 ounce bags, fresh
*Vidalia onion – 1 cup, small dice
*Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
*Feta – 8 ounces, crumbled
*Egg – 1 large
*Salt – 2 tablespoons
*Pepper – 1 tablespoon
*Dill – 1 tablespoon, dry
*Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
*Empanada Dough – 2 packs of 10 discs
- Defrost the empanada dough and preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large pot on medium heat, add olive oil and onion, and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute
- Add the spinach, one bag at a time, and stir until the spinach is wilted
- Remove from the heat and let cool. Drain the spinach to remove as much water as possible
- In a large separate bowl, add the egg and feta cheese and stir
- When the spinach is cooled add to the egg mixture and mix
- Add salt, pepper and dill and mix until all incorporated
- Separate the disks and add a large spoonful to one side of the dough and then fold the other half into a half-moon. With a fork, press down on all the sides to make sure that the edges are sealed.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes, turning them over after 10 minutes
Tips: This is a great Quiche recipe as well. You can add additional cheeses or different cheese to change the flavor.