Chickpeas are not everyone’s favorite, but they are definitely up there on my list. I love foods that are versatile and that you can turn into so many different flavors and textures. Just as an example, hummus…I have had hummus blended, mashed, or whole; with roasted garlic, raw garlic, olive tapenade, red peppers, you name it.
However, today I did not make hummus, I made a sandwich and a very delicious sandwich stuffed with a curry flavored, chickpea salad. Since I do not eat chicken or meat, but I used to love making chicken salads, I decided to make it with chickpeas. Also, these kinds of salads can be made in advance and will last you a few days.
*Chickpeas – 1 (15.5 oz can) drained and rinsed
*Green onions – 2-3 sliced thin (white and green parts)
*Haas avocado – 1 split in half and tender to the touch (see directions below)
*Red pepper – 1/4 cup, small dice
*Garlic – 1 clove minced
*Ginger – 1/2 teaspoon fresh, minced (you can use ginger powder if you want but then use about 1/4 teaspoon)
*Curry powder – 1/4 teaspoon
*Turmeric – 1/4 teaspoon
*Kosher salt – 1/2 teeaspoon
*Pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
*Lemon – juice from 1/2 lemon
*Cilantro – 1/4 cup chopped
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, green onions, 1/2 of the avocado, red pepper, garlic, ginger, turmeric, curry, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl or in a small food processor add the remaining half of the avocado and the lemon juice and puree until smooth. You will use this as the binder for the salad (unless you like mayo, then by all means)
- Add the pureed avocado to the mix and stir everything to combine well.
- Add the cilantro at the end and then fold in so to not break it too much.
- I served it in atoasted “everything” pita pocket,
Tips: If you puree the salad and add a little sour cream or Greek yogurt, you will have a dip or a hummus that you can serve with crackers and veggies. You can also replace the red pepper with green pepper and change the flavor profile a bit or even roast the red pepper first and then let it cool before you add to the salad.